Friday, June 29, 2007

Lookin for Leads in All The Wrong Places? One Advisor's Story

(I received this from "BH", an obviously intelligent and reasonable advisor
who got seduced by a web-based lead system. Does this sound
familiar to anyone? I will offer ideas in the next post-td )


Hi Tammy



I wrote you because I've become involved with Javelin's
lead program,and it is not what they've been promoting
it to be.

After having purchased somewhere in the vicinity of 80
"leads",I thought you might be interested in the
experiences I've had in working these "leads".

There appears to be a very clear pattern to the type and
quality of the leads. In the much lower than anticipated
number of people I've actually spoken to:

1. Very few can remember having ordered any reports
and in some cases,the people acted with extraordinarily
high amounts of conviction to this fact

2. On at least two occasions, people who think they
remember having ordered a report may have been seduced
into doing so, because there was an ambiguous offer
for a $100 or $500 gift certificate. They do not
know any other reason why they would have ordered
the information.

3. A very low number of them are above age 60,
and many years away from retirement.

When I spoke to Javelin about the first two points
above, they simply said that these leads were requested
by them, and that many people do not remember what they
did on the Internet within three hours
of doing something. I recognize and understand
that this is a possibility. I also understand that some
people are flat out liars. However, the sheer volume
and similar statements of surprise
at having ordered these reports,makes me very dubious.

In addition to this, I've experienced an extraordinarily
high amount of disconnected phone numbers.

On one occasion a work phone number was listed, and
(I was) told she no longer works there.

I have two specific situations that have caused me
concern over the legitimacy of the whole lead program.
One involves calling a phone number of a woman, with which
the number given was disconnected,but said "calls are being
accepted by" and then it gave a forwarding number.

When I called the forwarding number, the woman's son
answered and after explaining the situation
(that his mom had recently requested a free booklet)
he said, "That's impossible! My mom has been in the
hospital since September of 2006, and had lost
the use of one arm due to a stroke".

To punch a hole in the story, I told him
"the report was ordered from such and such
e-mail address.Isn't that her e-mail address?"
He said, "That's her work email address.
And she hasn't been
at work since September!"


What I called up Javelin to receive a credit for this
lead, they rejected it based on the fact that
credits are only granted,when you cannot reach
somebody by ANY means.

This includes phone, e-mail or regular mailing.
When I requested they reconsider their stance for
me to receive credit,
they did re-lent - my contact there has been very nice).

Another situation occurred to fuel my doubts
over the legitimacy of some of these leads.

I spoke with a gentleman for about 15 minutes, and
after I asked him to verify the e-mail address, he said
he had not used it for a while.

I asked him how long had a "while" been.
He thought for a moment,and answered,
"At least two years".

I've concluded that there is a strong possibility
that the patterns I've experienced in working these
leads can be best explained by any one,
or more of the following reasons:

1. Some of the leads are recycled - certainly older
than the promised
seven days This would explain the high number of people who
do not remember
having ordered one (or more) reports, and the high number
of phone numbers
that are either disconnected,
or not correct;

2. The offer of a report is not pure; i.e. there is
some kind of
accompanying free offer, which waters down
the quality of the report.

Two other items of interest that have led to a
large amount of frustration:

1. When I go to 411.com to cross check their name,
and/or their address
and/or their phone number, I'm getting a high
percentage that cannot be
found to match any of the contact
information they gave.

2. As you may be aware, Javelin recommends mailing
out the booklets before you even talk to the "requesters"
of the booklets, and then call them
three days after to have your initial conversation.

Well, a number of people claim to not received the packet.
Between the postage, printing and
most important (in terms of costs and aggravation)
a large percent of the few who
I spoke with claim to have either not received it,
or just threw it away
because they thought it was sent to them an error.

I initially took their advice of attaching a two or
five dollar gift certificate for coffee.

This only added to my expense, and frustration.



I'm sending this to you for two reasons:

1. I would very much like to get my money back.

Other than appealing to my credit card company, do you
have or know of any tangible complaints from
other advisors (to direct the credit card company
to come, in order to
legitimize my reasons for a reversal
of charges). (oh boy, do I ever. Come on advisors-
speak up- td)


When I went to see fit her were any complaints against
Javelin Marketing onthe internet , I could not find any.
(look a little harder
and be sure to look under
NF Communications, too.-td)


2. Develop a source of information that other advisors
who have either had similar experiences and complaints
and can communicate with each other, and
perhaps warn anyone else who is contemplating
using Javelin Marketing's"lead system".

If anyone wanted to pursue this lead system, I
think given the quality of theleads, along with
the time and expense to pursue them they are only
worth $5 a lead - certainly not the $18
they are charging. (precisely my point BH)


I appreciate any help you can offer in
either of these pursuits.



Best regards,

BH

1 comment:

Moose said...

I have been all around the world with NF and Javelin. I experienced everything you did, and, believe it or not, even more. They scurrilous bumbs.

I personally filed a written complaiint with the California Ins. Dept pertaining to Larry Klein. I was contacted by an investigator who questioned me at length and promised to pursue the matter. I don't know the results of the investigation.

I also called the DA in the County in which Walnut Creek, CA is located a spoke with a fraud investigator there.

Before doing any of the above, I sent an-email to NF demanding that they never contact me again. To my surprise, I actually received an e-mail ad blast from Javelin touting the same bogus program less than two weeks later -incredible. These guys are truly piss poor